Our Elkview operation is located approximately 3 kilometres east of Sparwood in southeastern British Columbia. Teck has a 95% partnership interest in Elkview. The remaining 5% is indirectly held equally by Nippon Steel & Sumimoto Metal Corporation, a Japanese steel producer, and POSCO, a Korean steel producer, each of which acquired a 2.5% interest in 2005.
Elkview is comprised of approximately 27,100 hectares of coal lands. The coal produced is a high-quality mid-volatile hard coking coal. Lesser quantities of lower grade hard coking coal are also produced. The current annual production capacities of the mine and preparation plant (on a 100% basis) are approximately 6.5 million and 6.5 million tonnes of clean coal, respectively.
At current planned production rates, Elkview is estimated to have a remaining reserve life of approximately 34 years.
Last updated: April, 2013